PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Russia - Military Strength vs Expenditure. How do they do it?
Old 25th Jan 2022, 23:28
soarbum

Received 25 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by NutLoose
It’s called development, improvement of a superb simple design through operational experience.

Where as we jumped from the .303 Lee Enfield to the 7.62 SLR to the 5.56 SA80 after the stillborn Bullpup, and now are looking at a variant of the 5.56 M4 for part of our forces. It’s a shame we never developed the SLR on as it was a superb weapon with an effective range. Something the SA80 proved to lack thus having to introduce a 7.62 L129A1 to recoup that loss.

One Weapon that did evolve was the .303 Bren that was rechambered as a 7.62 LMG.

One weapon in our arsenal apart from the .50 cal that can trace its lineage back to 1934 and the German MG34 through the MG42 is the 7.62 GPMG
Fair points! You're making me nostalgic now. I actually trained on the .303 as a recruit before switching to the FN (same as SLR but Belgian ones with full auto capability) which I loved. Our Brens still had .303 barrels. While the FN MAG (GPMG) is externally similar to the MG42 in that it is belt fed and has a bipod and a quick change barrel, internally they are very different. The MG42 used delayed blowback (roller-locking) while the MAG uses gas and piston as anyone who has ever cleaned one is unlikely to forget in a hurry.