PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flights to/from Ukraine
View Single Post
Old 24th Jan 2022, 16:41
davidjohnson6

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
I was rather hoping to (as far as possible) minimise the discussion of politics... and focus entirely on the operational side for airlines - i.e. what would trigger an airline (or its insurer) to start cancelling flights, even if the commercial revenue is acceptable
Lufthansa (plus OS and LX) and also KLM decided yesterday to stop overnighting in Kyiv-Boryspil, and fly only in the day time - i.e. spend no more than maybe 90 mins on the ground in daylight
Yes, I'm aware that airlines in western Europe are going to be more cautious about flying to (for example) Kharkiv close to the Russian border in the east, compared to Lviv close to the Polish border in the west

Would anyone have any opinions as to what airlines who approach Ukraine from the west might choose to do, when the risk is deemed too high, and what would be the trigger points for making those decisions ?

In case anyone is wondering - I'm not a journalist - please have a look at the record of my previous posts as verification that I ask the question in genuine curiosity