PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Jets in low flying shock horror!
View Single Post
Old 24th Jan 2022, 14:33
PPRuNeUser0211

Received 180 Likes on 106 Posts
Originally Posted by Bob Viking
Let me first add some perspective. I love low flying. It’s awesome. It’s the most fun you can have whilst flying and I still get to do it regularly in some incredible terrain and I will never get bored of doing it.

Sadly low flying just isn’t the panacea it used to be in terms of a tactic. Therefore we just don’t need to practise it as much as we used to. That means you won’t see low level jets as regularly as you used to. That’s sad but it’s just the way it is.

The British Army no longer practise cavalry charges or fighting squares any more. The RN probably don’t practise 50 gun broadsides either. That’s because military tactics evolve.

As much as I’d love to see the RAF/RN/USAF wazzing round the Welsh/Cumbrian/Scottish hills all day every day it’s just not as necessary as it once was. And watching jets on FR24 (I know they don’t show up on FR24 - I’m being facetious) cranking/notching/aborting in D323 just doesn’t compare in terms of pure excitement.

BV
Now now BV, that's very fixed wing centric isn't it! Go rotary and you can low fly all you like (subject to serviceability!)