PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - All borders to reopen.
View Single Post
Old 24th Jan 2022, 01:50
dr dre

Received 361 Likes on 199 Posts
Originally Posted by Wizofoz
Sure- but it's a cost/benefit analysis. Bear in mind, Covid ALSO adversley effects the ecconomy the "let her rip" crowd claims to value- we've kept a decent amount of ecconomic activitey going while keeping damage to a minimum. Even McGowan knows therewill be a time deaths are inevitable, but is of the opinion that damage can be minimized and that it's worth the longer restrictions.

I don't neccessarliy agree with him, but I do see hos point.
There's some very early indications as the peak in cases has passed over east that people are now going out and spending in the economy again. Wednesday's public holiday will be an interesting comparison, I'm not sure what the situation is over east but in WA there's already trepidation over the Skyworks and numbers will probably be down there and at other public events. Very quickly the argument that WA is having a relatively normal period of holiday economic activity compared to the east is going to be a moot point.

There is a very brief window when the optimal protection from the boosters is going to be - March, in addition to the risk of allowing an outbreak in winter.

No doubt relevant businesses and the media will push him on this point. AJ on local Perth radio this morning said they are going to talk to the government and want some type of assurance about dates regarding the Perth London route, and pretty much said they have a deadline of about a week before deciding whether or not to keep it going via Darwin for either April or the peak (dry) season. As an aside he does seem to want the route to eventually return to Perth as a first preference and seems to want assurances or other commitments to keep that service in Perth for the months after it's scheduled to restart, whether it's firm dates or money or something.

Qantas CEO says customers are ‘extremely disappointed’ about WA border shut out