PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - FAA ADs re 5G interference
View Single Post
Old 23rd Jan 2022, 20:35
albatross

Received 156 Likes on 78 Posts
People seem to mention “Outdated Avionics” as a big part of the problem a lot.
So what presently available “Modern Avionics” have foolproof protection against interference from 5G?
Also how much does this all dancing, all singing black box, it’s installation and testing going to cost?
It must be noted that the FCC in the USA sold off a wider frequency band closer to Rad-Alt frequencies than other countries. Thereby exacerbating the problem.

The terrible, uninformed media in the USA speaks only about Airlines and seems to ignore General Aviation use of Rad-Alts. Always funny to see a picture of a pressure altimeter in the back ground as the “Talking Head” looks concerned as he/she/it reads the tele-prompter.

If my outdated Rad Alt worked just fine why should I have pay for a new system because of 5G?

Imagine if you will a new neighbour moves in and plays very loud music on his deck 24/7.
You complain and he says: “Maybe YOU should pay to have your house soundproofed!”
(I made that up allegory to explain 5G interference to a non-aviation non-tech savvy friend.)
Are you going to be a happy camper? I think not.

Also imagine if 5G were to affect, for example some safety system in people’s cars…the screams of protest would be deafening.