PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAF Base or Station?
View Single Post
Old 23rd Jan 2022, 14:34
possel

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Warmtoast
My Record of Service (RAF Form 543R) that I requested a copy of quite a few years ago shows that I was posted to a "Unit" - not a Base or Station- see attached.

"Unit" referred to the fact that a Squadron is a Unit which can be moved to a new station; ditto there are/were non-flying units which "lodge" at stations. If a Unit moves, I don't think there are any posting notices for each individual. My first tour was at the Radio Engineering Unit which lodged at Henlow with our own Group Captain who was not Station Commander. But I don't really think there were any hard and fast rules for this sort of thing. A Flt Lt friend was OC RAF XYZ (I forget where) which turned out to be a shed with an aerial in a field with no permanent staff!
Originally Posted by Tengah Type
Ken Scott #17 & MPN11 # 22
The name of the railway station by the South East (Brittania) gate on the RAF Brize Norton airfield boundary at the time the airfield was built was "Bampton" even though Bampton is 5 miles away. Carterton at that time was merely a crossroads with a shop and a few smallholdings established by Mr Carter. Brize Norton Parish and Village were well estabished centuries before. I have a map of the area dated 1828 showing Brize Norton and Bampton, but No Carterton. The railway station was renamed "Bampton and Brize Norton"in 1944 to reflect the new importance of the RAF station.
The railway station closed in 1962.
More recently (1980s?) RAF Bampton was opened (I think something to do with radar) and that caused confusion with RAF Brampton, so the former was renamed "RAF Bampton Castle". (I don't know anything about a castle there.) RAF Brampton, of course, was never even an airfield at all...