PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - All borders to reopen.
View Single Post
Old 21st Jan 2022, 09:58
dr dre

Received 359 Likes on 197 Posts
Originally Posted by Xeptu
You don't need to be in any rush to let the virus in, it will happen all by itself. when it does happen if you think life is going back to normal you are seriously deluded. We in SA would never have agreed to this if we knew what was going to happen. like us as it was, you are not experiencing any inconvenience at all at the moment, that's all about to change, Supply shortages, business closed, can't do much because nothing is open at least the way you expect it to be and for what, so we can travel, well that's not going to plan either. I deeply regret supporting opening the borders, but you guys don't take our advice and experience for it, you just jump straight in there and do it, don't say you weren't warned. I don't want to hear your whining after the event.
I see this type of comment a lot but no acknowledgement of reality.

1, there will always be a reopening wave, whether you open up at 90% double vaxxed or 99% triple vaxxed. The case rise will be exponential and the media will fearmonger about it. This is inevitable. The only option is to never reopen and use "crush and kill" full lockdowns if there's an outbreak permanently.

2, people react to what the media feeds them. Fearmonger non stop about cases, people will be too afraid to step outside. Ambulance services and Emergency Departments are reporting most Covid cases using rushing to use those services have mild symptoms and have overreacted.

3, rules designed to stop the original version or Delta aren't appropriate for Omicron. Most are reporting a day or two needed off work, but rules dictate a full 7 days off work. This affects staff shortages considerably.

4, the Omicron wave is having a lower effect on health systems than even the most optimistic predictions. SA has about 200-400 ICU beds, currently 33 occupied with those tested positive to Covid, this has peaked or is very close to.

5, not sure about SA but Victoria definitely isn't hiding away from the AO tennis crowds I can see. WA broadcaster admits Sydney isn't locking itself away despite popular WA opinion.

As someone in WA I've noticed the mask wearing and slight cases in the community has caused a noticeable decrease in public movement already. Until the wave passes it will remain.