PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Career Path To CO of a CVN
View Single Post
Old 21st Jan 2022, 04:57
SpazSinbad

Received 61 Likes on 48 Posts
I would have to check however in those few seconds there is only the time it takes for the catapult firer (usually in a howdah but in a CVN may be on deck behind a hatch) to press the button. I think (as I said I'll have to check) the 'SHOOTER' would scream on the radio 'SUSPEND' many times and cross his arms above his head. He can see when nothing happens (as he is doing this the catapult may fire because the button was rightly pressed). The aircraft will remain at full power with the pilot ready to go while the CATO walk in front over the catapult track facing the aircraft. By now of course he will have been assured that the launch has been suspended. Then he will signal 'power down' to the pilot then the cat crew will unhook and the aircraft will taxi forward and back behind the JBDs or whatever. I'll need to check precise details (it has been almost 50 years since I was last reamed steamed and dry cleaned, sucking back in the holdback onboard HMAS Melbourne getting skidmarks on me derpants.

Last edited by SpazSinbad; 21st Jan 2022 at 04:58. Reason: spelin