PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - All borders to reopen.
View Single Post
Old 21st Jan 2022, 03:27
SOPS
short flights long nights

Received 154 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by vne165
McGowan has crab-walked away from a decision that has been set in stone for months. Hundreds of thousands of individuals and tens of thousands of businesses have planned around this hard date.
He has done this because either;
- He knows the virus is in the community and cannot be stopped. So he doesn't want to be blamed for this due to open borders (The Dre theorem), or
- He is deluded into thinking he can control it and will shortly return the good burghers of WA (who have done everything asked of them and more) back into lockdown, as open borders would have precluded this.

Either option is cynical, politically expedient and a disgrace.
There is white-hot seething anger amongst the many folks I engage with in WA.

You cannot hold a compact of the sort he did, imploring all that was needed was to meet a vaccination rate threshold, and then renege without consequence.
His electoral goose is cooked I suspect and hope.

The remainder of the country has lanced the boil, as unpleasant as that is in the short term.
WA must lance it too, eventually. The can cannot be kicked down the road forever.
I would say it’s very polarising. Because lots of people I engage with think it’s a great plan to stay shut.. while others hate it. I don’t know of anyone ‘sitting on the fence”.