PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Alcohol and Flying: The New Law
View Single Post
Old 24th Dec 2003, 19:12
You splitter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

I have been reading this with interest. This morning the post arrived with a letter from the CAA which was the FODCOm in question.

Having read through the interesting thing is that this will be for any 'Aviation Function'. This will include standby so technically if you wake up at home, come on standby slightly worse for wear you are breaking the new law. How they would catch you doing that is another matter!

On the subject of random testing there are a lot of jobs much less 'elevated' (no pun intended) than pilots who are subjected to these rules. A firend of mine drives a fork lift truck at an oil depot. All drivers on the plant are subject to random testing.

At the risk of getting shot down in flames there has been many a thread about pilots wages & conditions and the argument thrown up time and time again by pilots is how much more safety orinentated their job is compared to other professionals, and how they are repsosnible for 300 souls at the back of their aircraft. True.......so if so surely all the more reason why random testing should be just as applicable to this industry as to others!

The concern for most of us is translating the BAC limit into real terms. i.e how many beers the night before could I have to be safe. Maybe buying a tester or abstaining completely is now the only answer!

Golden Rivet - Yes that amused me too whilst reading the FODCOM. Surely it should all be the same or are you suggesting Engineers have a higher tolerance!