PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Dubai near disaster..?
View Single Post
Old 18th Jan 2022, 06:17
hans brinker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Fog Ducker
AIM 4-3-23 : the use of aircraft lights
g. When entering the departure runway for takeoff or to “line up and wait,” all lights, except for landing lights, should be illuminated to make the aircraft conspicuous to ATC and other aircraft on approach. Landing lights should be turned on when takeoff clearance is received or when commencing takeoff roll at an airport without an operating control tower.

In my first 33 years of professional
flying, the company SOP was for the STROBES be selected to ON when cleared to POSITION, then the LANDING LIGHTS to be selected ON for TAKEOFF.

Then in my 3 years of flying in the Middle East, the company SOP was to select ALL lights ON when cleared to POSITION.

I did not like doing this because it is wrong.

I will still not accept a crossing clearance if the aircraft way down at the end has the LANDING LIGHTS ON.
Aircraft have landed on top of other aircraft that were on the runway, it might have been prevented if those on the runway had all their lights on. Also the AIM isn't regulatory in the US NVM the ME, you not accepting a legal clearance because of a difference of opinion does not help. I follow my companies SOP.