PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Why do positions like Chief Pilot, HOFO, HOTAC etc exist?
Old 17th Jan 2022, 15:08
AerialPerspective

Received 64 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by airdualbleedfault
We'll have to agree to disagree on safety, I guess my point is/was jet aviation in Australia has always been inherently safe and this was usually due to flight ops/training and checking. We now have safety departments that are bigger than training departments quite often largely occupied by people with little or no aviation experience. I just think both safety and human remains have become a growth industry hell bent on justifying their existence. I'm not saying we shouldn't have a safety department just that they don't need to be gargantuan
Then with that clarification, I'd say we agree completely. I too do not think a safety department has to be a monolithic bureau that has to send a team of ninety-seven people to investigate when someone gets a paper cut.
I see exactly where you're coming and I agree - I think we need a safety department for oversight and as a resource for the operational arm, e.g. to investigate things that the ops people don't have time to deal with v.v. errors and avoidance of repetition of incidents.

You are right about 'growth industries', unless something is kept as large as it needs to be, it will grow exponentially and start to diverge from its original purpose.

My problem is I can accept safety, but I can't tolerate HR wankers who have never been of any use in any organisation I've worked for, in fact, their involvement has usually produced crappy results which compare unfavorably to the likely results if they were never there.