PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - F-111E crash, 68-0018, Perthshire, January 1972
Old 16th Jan 2022, 17:36
Leuchars1950

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Leuchars1950

The F111 crash in the Sidlaws happened 50 years ago this Tuesday. Over the years I have climbed Gask Hill to the crash site to place a floral tribute and say a few words.

However, i am not as fit as the years have advanced and on Tuesday I plan to place a few flowers at a little crossroads at the foot of Gask Hill, along with a printed message, asking anyone who reads it to raise their eyes to the top of the nearby hill and say a few words for Lt Col Floyd Sweet and Lt Col Kenneth Blank.

My particular connection to the tragedy is that on January 18,1972, I was walking up my garden path in nearby Dundee when i heard a low-flying jet fly over, going in a westerly direction. Despite not being able to see the plane I knew it wasn't a familiar jet as we were used to hearing the Phantoms and Lightnings based at RAF Leuchars in the 1970s, but I recognised the distinctive sound as being that of an F111, having heard one perform at the 1971 Leuchars air display. Little did I know the two in the jet that fateful day had only minutes to live.