PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Australian pilots can work for US regionals.
Old 16th Jan 2022, 15:02
DropYourSocks

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by the_rookie
But are Aussies getting a taste of that? Seems only legacy's are seeing that kind of money. UPS/FEDEX etc, which Aussies can't get, unless they have a green card.
Yes they are getting commands at a regional but it's still less then what an FO gets over here and then what next? If you don't win the green card lottery or marry a yank you are pretty limited. Happy to be corrected but that's what I've read and been told by people currently doing it
You have been corrected, literally dozens of times in this thread already. I came to the US from one of those career destination Aussie FO roles to CommutAir before it was cool. Pay wasn't great as an FO, but QoL blew Aus out of the water. I'm talking with a little seniority, 18 days off a month consistently with the ability to choose when those days off are. As a captain, same QoL but with pay that beats anything I could make in Aus until you're a Captain at VA or Qantas.

The thing with US airlines, is it's all about the soft pay. You budget your life based around hourly rate x 1000 (give or take), but soft pay can help you make significantly more.

The other common complaint I'm reading lately is the old "these majors aren't available to Aussies without X, Y or Z". There are literally already Aussies making their way to lucrative jobs here. Now, there are no guarantees for your career, but the land of opportunity can't really do anything for you unless you come get your feet wet one way or another.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again... The water is warm, so come on over.
​​​