PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - HAA crash all survived 11th Jan 2022
View Single Post
Old 16th Jan 2022, 10:02
albatross

Received 151 Likes on 75 Posts
My late 1/2 sister was a surgical nurse at a very large hospital in the USA.
The hospital did not have a medical insurance plan for its employees.
Now isn’t that strange.

When she was still alive and our Mom passed away and she came to Canada for the funeral. She asked if we were having difficulties paying medical bills. She was very surprised when we looked at her and said: “What Medical Bills?” We, on the other hand, were astounded when she told us how much she and her husband were paying for medical coverage.

When I was an Air Ambulance Pilot in Ontario we used to go to a few scene calls and have folks from the USA get upset saying that a helicopter flight would cost them ridiculous amounts of $$,$$$. We would explain that the Trauma centre was 35 minutes in the helicopter or 2-3 hours over rough roads by Land Ambulance and it was cheaper for the province to use the helicopter and not take an ambulance out of the area for 6 hours so not to worry they would never get a bill in any case. Aside from which we were there already so just relax and enjoy the scenic ride. Dispatch never asked about nationality or insurance of the injured before launching us to “Save Life and Restore Health” The US folks found this unbelievable. It was a great job and wonderful folks to work with. Twin Engine 2 crew helicopter with 2 ALS medics. Our base ran 212s and the “city folks” drove 76s at the time. 24/7/365 coverage.

I hope for a quick and complete recovery for the crew and patients in this sad event.