PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Where to teach touchdown
View Single Post
Old 15th Jan 2022, 19:47
Broadlands

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where to teach touchdown

An interesting debate is occurring amongst us since I brought back feedback regarding where instructors teach their students to touchdown.

This may seem obvious however CPL students have been taught to use the PAPIs as guidance down the approach and to touch down on the markers adjacent to the PAPIs.

Since attending a standardisation course where it was explained why this is incorrect, I have been gradually retraining students and instructors.

For the benefit of those on here who were not part of the conversation the reasons that I give are:

1. Performance calculations are completed. The quotes LDA is measured from the threshold, not the PAPIs.
2. Students are not landing at a particular point and float down the runway so even less runway is available.
3. PAPIs are for instrument precision approach not visual approaches.
4. PAPIs are not accurate for small light aircraft in the last part of an approach.

The major problem I have is trying to get any student to complete a successful precision landing. This is clearly seen when using an airfield like Shobdon where there is not the luxury of a full length runway.

The problem gets even more complicated when examiners request 2 reds/2 whites and to land on the TDZ

Myself and a colleague who also attended a standardisation course are having difficulty justifying the above and we are struggling where to reference the requirement. Our good work is undone when another senior FI disagrees and tells the students we are talking *ollocks. He is still a friend though!

I would appreciate any help. I am rewriting the courseware which will have a dedicated section to give a full explanation.

Thanks for any feedback.