PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - HAA crash all survived 11th Jan 2022
View Single Post
Old 15th Jan 2022, 12:15
Radgirl

Received 19 Likes on 6 Posts
What are they actually raising funds for? I’m sure his medical bills are covered.
We do not know the cause but we do know he went to work expecting to return at the end of his shift and instead is in hospital and we believe facing significant treatment

He may well have insurance for loss of earnings but the US is unique in the developed world in not having a national and universal health system that is free at point of use. Healthcare is the commonest cause of bankruptcy. No matter how good your US health insurance, there will be limits, co pays and deductibles. There will be network restrictions meaning if the only surgeon or anesthesiologist available is from the 'wrong' network you have to pay. As such it is almost inconceivable he will not face significant uninsured bills. With a social security system little better his family may also struggle with associated costs. I worked in the system and despair at its failures, but I am not making a political point, just pointing out the practicalities and the need for fundraising