PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Why do positions like Chief Pilot, HOFO, HOTAC etc exist?
Old 15th Jan 2022, 09:09
Xeptu

Received 80 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr Proach
LB noted. However in my view I do not consider any of these positions are necessary to establish a functional air transport operation. I think you could start an operation and providing the aircrew, engineering and managers abide by the rules (which are very very extensive) then the operation will be compliant and safe. These "titled" positions don't contribute to the functionality of an operation, their main role is to generate and submit paperwork for the regulator who in turns reviews it to see that it is line with their guidelines. What does that achieve? The industry has been conditioned to think these positions are essential, they're not. That is evident by the your mention of CASA & lawful, there is the conditioning. Delete the law that stipulates an operation must have a chief pilot and the engines won't run, the wings won't produce lift, the crew will defy ATC instructions? The whole structure needs to be reviewed.
How far do you want to go with that. I think an operator does need to have good operational oversight and the most appropriate person to do that is an experienced pilot with good people and management skills. If not such a person then who, a bean counter perhaps.