PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Delay due to Operational Reasons
View Single Post
Old 11th Jan 2022, 18:33
PAXboy
Paxing All Over The World

Received 62 Likes on 50 Posts
I have been very fortunate. My only other long delay was a simple one. CPT in February 2019 a venerable BA Queen of the Skies.
All aboard and doors shut.
After nearly an hour, my seat mate observes that they will soon push us off stand to beat the (then in force) EU261. But we did not move.

I was sitting in WT+ on the Starboard side, so just above the front cargo door. I saw the Loader arrive and the door opened. I wondered if there was a technical bay they might need to access ... but when the second ULD came out, I turned to my seat mate and said, "This is now an ex-flight". A few minutes later the Captain told us that we were canx as a particular sensor on one engine was no longer sensing anything and the spare was in JNB. Given flight limitation hours, then it was a full 24 hours. Although he did not mention the flight hours limit, just the main delay.

The shift to hotels was badly managed by their local agent but all other respects were good. With EU261 for a nearly full 744, BA must be glad to see the end of that!

So an extra sunny day in CPT with good food and wine and back to the machine after her engine test. The cabin crew member remembered our conversation about food from the previous evening! Such fine service.

Although the Pandemic was clearly established, little did I know that it would be my last on a BA Queen. She just always felt so secure and, despite all the shaking on the take off roll and the old noises, she gave us a beautiful ride home.

Last edited by PAXboy; 12th Jan 2022 at 06:57.