PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Partnavia crash at Rottnest Island
View Single Post
Old 11th Jan 2022, 04:13
MALT68

Received 38 Likes on 8 Posts
What was the lesson learned?

I had been following this thread years ago (because I am an interested P68 driver out of YPJT). And slightly surprised why nothing more than a summary report was issued by the ATSB given that there was a hull loss and six seriously injured people. I feel there has not been any clear education about what happened. Quiet and polite questions about lessons to be learned have drawn a blank.

In the summary: "the aircraft was unable to generate sufficient power to sustain flight", could have a multitude of causes, from mishandling by the PIC through to mechanical problems, or even meteorological factors. Was there ever a take home message?

I have flown into and out of Rottnest (YRTI) many many times in the P68, I am also a glider pilot, and former dinghy racer, so I am very aware of micrometeorology. You need to be aware of the local factors at YRTI (RWY 27/09). There is a low range of sand hills less than 0.3 km to the south of the strip, and these can produce quite marked mechanical turbulence on short final to RWY 27, and also on initial climb-out on RWY 27 when a howling southerly sea breeze is blowing (known as the "Fremantle Doctor", can blow in excess of 25 knots and usually comes from 240 deg and then backs to 190 as the afternoon progresses). Max demonstrated crosswind for the P68 is 25 kts. I have landed at YRTI in conditions approaching max crosswind on RWY 27, you have to be switched on, it is a bumpy ride, and reject the approach sooner rather than later.

My own conservative personal minimums for the P68 is not loading more than max landing weight (yes it is different from MTOW) when going to Rotto, and paying close attention to the loading envelope, you have to load the P68 from back to front, otherwise the C of G is too far forward. Know the expected SE performance for the day and plan for that in your take off safety brief. Use the POH, it is actually your friend. If the forecast weather exceeds the handling parameters of the a/c, don't go. Much better to be on the ground wishing you were in the air, rather than being in the air wishing you were on the ground.

Date 12/11/2006
ATSB Ref #: 200606756
Category: Accident
Type: Partenavia Costruzioni Aeronautiche S.p.A P.68 (was VH-IYK)
Operation: Private
Op subtype: Unknown
Airspace: CTAF
Class:G
Summary: During the takeoff from runway 27 in crosswind conditions, the aircraft was unable to generate sufficient power to sustain flight. The aircraft was destroyed when it impacted water during the forced landing.

YRTI Map reference:
https://www.google.com.au/maps/@-32..../data=!3m1!1e3

Stay safe and well everyone!