PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - what's happening at Azzurra?
View Single Post
Old 24th Dec 2003, 07:47
Avroliner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The tip of the iceberg

I want to give a first hand account of some facts. I have flown Airmalta, Alitalia, and many other companies. Few airlines stand up to Airmalta's standard. Fly alitalia's milan malta route.... So if KM is low cost AZ is super low cost!! Azzurra (Italy) service equals Airmalta, yet with a bit of a struggle (due to tough competition). In fact Azzurra changed from Air Chef(alitalia catering) to Ligabue due to better standards.

ZS is no low cost airline. Airline fares are no cheaper than any other carrier!! On the contrary, being able to fly to FLR, LCY and many other short field airports, fares were relatively high.

Azzurra's operation for Alitalia were KM's decision!! ZS lost money, no doubt, but it was following orders by KM. Yet as I said before this is all political staff. (Maybe a passaport for skyteam??)

In my opinion KM should hang on to ZS and open a Milan based company in May. Needless to say, KM will suffer if companies like Ryan air will start to operate from Malta. So, having had this base in Milan for 7 years I do not see why KM should let go now.

ZS needs experienced KM staff here for starters..... Ops and admin.

Quote " Why did the management step down? Who is now 'in command'? Indeed, who owns it? Is ZS still flying Air Littoral's routes? I heard today that ZS Italy stopped it's only remining route to Rotterdam.......why? Will Manchester ops be affected if ZS Italy goes down? " Unquote.

1. Chairman surely had good reasons for doing so. Maybe Group 7 planned to turn ZS into low cost, or he knew that promises made by G7 could not be honoured. G7 now owns 50.83% of the company.

2. Good question! Seems like G7 is in command due to larger share holding.

3. No ZS does not fly Littoral any more.... pity. (Promises made by G7 did not materialize). Calvi and Figari were operated by avro.

4. ZS currently has 2 737 both of which are grounded due tech. A320 crew are still doing training. Yet could be that RTM has been lost due to other reasons.

5. Another good one! Hope not!! Even though (nahseb) aircraft are on ZS AOC.

Yet I do not want to be pessimistic. Miracles do happen, and maybe this Christmass G7 could bring one this way.