PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - IAG: BA restructuring may cost 12,000 jobs
Old 10th Jan 2022, 12:29
White Van Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by balpalover69
Good, only 9 months to a year until we can start earning above minimum wage and for the most part, begin to lay off the 100’s of thousands of pounds worth of loans. I would imagine this would reduce the stress for the majority.

I’d suggest it’s probably the vote… whereby pilots were voted out of the company to protect T&C’s of the senior pilots.

I would imagine so. 250 odd out of 4500 odd. 1 out of every 5, 20% chance, rather than the 100% chance of redundancy I was given. Considering most of the junior pilots are ‘cheaper’ and not on the jumbo (the redundant fleet) I’d have fancied my chances.

What do I know though. I’m a worthless MSL bottom feeder…
As I understand pilot T&Cs were never on the table. We weren’t choosing between saving jobs and keeping senior pay scales. The company made it very clear it was about the headcount, not about the paycheque size. There was no mention of firing the pilots in reverse seniority, and even I wouldn’t have supported that (not exactly senior myself, north of 4000MSL).

Don’t forget BA’s opener was 1255 jobs, which while never discussed in detail, I would have imagined to include all of 747, LGW fleets plus chopping a large % off the bottom of both LHS and RHS of 777, 380 and Airbus. This would have forced the line much further up the MSL than the point at which it finally rested, plus included hundreds more from further up. (I did the numbers at the time and any way you cut it, the line went way further up from the bottom of the MSL)

I’m no BALPA fanboy, but I do think they did a solid job saving as many as they could under very trying circumstances. My only regret is that they couldn’t make the size of the CRS 550, which I believe the pilot body would have done in a heartbeat.

Evidently we see things pretty differently. I hope you and the rest of the PRP are welcomed back as quick as possible.