PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The crash of Rescue 111: ‘The worst silence I ever heard in all my life’
Old 9th Jan 2022, 17:37
[email protected]

Received 623 Likes on 271 Posts
Agree with this sentiment.
perhaps that sentiment is why they never addressed the issues and Irish SAR continued to struggle for many years.

Yes, there are a lot of contributory factors to do with experience dilution, organisational structure (the IAAC didn't have a Flight Safety setup at all) and the overly lengthy report goes into them all in great detail and only points out the crews failings in vague terms. The problem is that it allows each party the ability to offset their share of the blame with the others and the effect of any major causes is lost in the noise.

I spent a lot of time professionally, teaching and mentoring junior SAR pilots and Captains for the very good reason that if you make crap choices or fail to plan properly for a SAROp, you can get quickly caught out and end up in trouble. The first rule of first aid is not to become a casualty yourself and the same applies to SAR.

If you don't find fault with poor decisions made by the crew, how are you ever going to stop the next crew doing something similar when the pressure is on?