PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Variable pitch prop "endorsement"?
View Single Post
Old 9th Jan 2022, 11:10
Fl1ingfrog

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
I go back to my first car, a Morris Minor Traveler. No need to prime but the choke setting was critical. It was important to know your car because the setting would vary to that days conditions. Eventually I would get it right 90% of the time. It had no starter so the hand crank had to be used always. That too had its best unique technique which you would quickly need to learn or suffer from it.

My modern turbo diesel always starts first time and requires no engine management whatever the weather or atmospheric conditions. Whilst pilot engine management is required to prevent; fuel flooding, carburettor fires, over leaning damage, rich cuts, propeller over-speed, shock cooling and over boosting, we will continue as now. The automation technology exists but comes with a high price tag and weight and drag penalties, much too high for small aeroplanes. The car world is producing smaller engines with increasing power and are much cheaper to buy Are aircraft engine manufacturers going to invest vast sums in improving its polluting suck, squeeze, squash and blow engine technology and at half the price. With electric engine development temptingly on the horizon, and when all the above can be resolved, I doubt it?

Last edited by Fl1ingfrog; 9th Jan 2022 at 11:27.