PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EK 231 20 December DXB IAD near crash?
View Single Post
Old 6th Jan 2022, 03:33
SandIgger

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Willie Everlearn
this issue was on the runway during takeoff. The takeoff manoeuvre is probably the most repetitive manual manoeuvre a pilot will ever perform. Both in real life and simulated life, so while an over reliance on automation is in itself an important issue pilots need to address, I fail to see how any recommendation for additional manual flying skills relates to this event. If I understand this event correctly, the automation wasn't engaged until the aircraft was placed in a positive and normal climbing attitude and from that point onward, ops normal.
Some assume that all pilots are taught when to look through or ignore the FD never mind when they clearly see GIGO. I often wonder about that?
Willie
Good points, Willie. Some trainers in this airline were badly trained and carry that standard to those they train in turn. I've seen pilots here who will do whatever the FD says to until its basic mode is overridden by a protection system. Modern "automation" includes FD-guided manual (hand) flying, which is the lowest level of automation. It's handy when following a TCAS RA or following a windshear event but not so good, as Dropp pointed out, for basic hand flying except maybe straight and level.

None of that really matters, though, if it turns out the PF in this event ignored the "rotate" call or there was no "rotate" call and the PF failed to act in its absence.

The rest is just people anonymously beating their own meat over personal views.