PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EK 231 20 December DXB IAD near crash?
View Single Post
Old 6th Jan 2022, 02:56
Check Airman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by simmy
SIN to DXB in a widebody. 0100 schedule departure but several hours late. (Me 50+ year old captain, F/O 35 year old). Glorious flying weather, DXB in sight before the descent point. F/O disconnects A/P at descent point and barely moves the controls until the flare. Me working like a one armed paperhanger complying with his requests for flaps, gear, radio calls, crew landing brief, tiny bye bye to the pax and other small distractions. I was often out of the loop and worn out when we landed. In a courteous way I asked why he had decided to give up the wonderful automatics available and instead just sit staring at the instruments when he had such a glorious night outside with views even! " I like a challenge he said!"

I heard later after I had left the Company that the F/O was made Fleet Manager.

I've often wanted to tell that little tale....and now I have.
I did fly for a UK airline and during recurrent simulator training I was amazed how often the first action of pilots when an emergency was simulated was to disconnect the auto pilot. Honest!
You felt out of the loop and worn out doing your normal PM duties? I’d suggest this attitude towards automation is at the heart of the problem.