PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Old computers and the fabled Vulcan attack on U.S.
Old 5th Jan 2022, 22:41
gums

Received 58 Likes on 18 Posts
Salute!

Back at BEagle!

Was interested when the video Nuts sent about the Vulcan "attack" noted that the two kills were by VooDoos.

Gotta tellya, sucker could not turn worth a hoot, but could climb as good or better than the Eagle or Viper, but maybe not as good as Lightning.

We only did snap ups against those high bandits and was fairly easy in the Voodoo for head shots. Our Aim-4D was great for a stable tgt, but nothing like the Limas I flew with years later - ask Mogs about Falklands. The launch process for the Aim-4's was a kludge compared to the 'winders, and the Top Gun shots are fairly accurate when I flew with them in the Viper in the 80's.

Somehow I always thot that big delta would have helped the Vulcan turn really well, but maybe it was gee and not AoA.

The part of Penetrators that is very accurate concerns flying over the missile fields. At Grand Forks we could pick out the various missile flight silos easily. Now bear in mind that the early installations had not time for the grass or wheat or sunflower plants to grow a few years. I also had problems a time or two trying to nail a buff due to his EWO. Dat is when the IR missile and system is priceless.

Gums sends...