PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - "Qantas pilots lose union president after year of turbulence"
Old 5th Jan 2022, 22:04
Mr Proach

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by FightDeck
Attended AIPA roadshow and spoke at length with two of the Captains on the negotiating team once the final package was released. No top secret info. The pay rates were as Qantas wanted them including B scale for new hire SOs. I was told negotiators wanted the higher hourly rate from the 787 and 787 style conditions with lower planning divisor but were unsuccessful. They got the pay rates Qantas put forward with significantly less overtime. So to look at hourly rate alone in iso is misleading. The planning divisor is also a lot higher as is the maximum divisor.exceeds current LH fleets and the 787. You got to work a lot harder for the same money and need to work more hours.
pilots also can’t move between the A350 to the 787, nor can they move from the 787 to the A350 in same rank. Some little things here and there AIPA achieved around the edges but majority is exactly what Qantas put forward. I was told Qantas had a target for pay cuts of many millions per year and they got them. Wasn’t told a figure but it was a lot of cuts in pay. The negotiating CPT’s made it clear it wasn’t ever much of a negotiation. I know the pilots were threatened to be outsourced from pilots from Timbuktoo but AIPA did nothing to counter that in the media or to members. All Qantas now have to do is threaten to outsource the flying and they can achieve what they want anyway with or without AIPA. Should be clear this isn’t all AIPA’s fault. The reality is AIPA are industrially redundant now anyway.It’s take it or leave it.
If the whole framework of industrial relations was structured on a "take it or leave it" principle, children would still be working in coal mines and industrial relations wouldn't even exist. With all due respect, this sounds like propaganda or poppycock.