PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - US Pilot Moving To The UK
View Single Post
Old 4th Jan 2022, 16:32
Genghis the Engineer

Received 48 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by md123
Thanks! I'm definitely aware that things are more restrictive (and more expensive!) over there, but I appreciate the specifics.

Noted, thanks. Does this mean that most people just do sightseeing flights and land back where they took off? Or is permission easy enough to come by that trips are possible? I've also heard that landing fees are much more common there (and apparently approach fees exist??).
Not at-all. Getting PPR is usually just a case of a quick phone call or filling out a form on the airfield's webpage. Seldom more than a couple of minutes formality, and permission is usually immediate. It mainly means you need to have decided where you're going before taking off, and have given your destination a chance to brief you on any local issues, plus they know to expect visitors.

Incidentally what you will find is a massively greater incidence of grass runways, you'll get used to that (and if you buy a share in an aeroplane, you'll get used to cleaning mud off the bottom of your aeroplane as well, nobody's favourite job!)

Yes, expect to pay approach and landing fees most places - if you budget for around £15 for a landing, and £20 for an approach, you'll be in the ballpark.

I've also heard that you do "circuit" instead of "pattern". As for American airports, I've always thought it silly that we have untowered fields with less than 1000m runways and no commercial traffic called "international airports" (for example, KCLM)
The circuit (UK) and pattern (US) are basically the same. What the US call "upwind" we call "deadside", nobody in the UK uses the 45° downwind join, but overhead joins are reasonably common. Otherwise, you'll find no important differences.

G

Last edited by Genghis the Engineer; 4th Jan 2022 at 16:47.