PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Francis Gary Powers U-2 -6 decades on
View Single Post
Old 3rd Jan 2022, 14:51
Lance Shippey

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Chevron,
Thanks for pointing out that Latimer House is nearer to Chesham than Amersham. I know a great deal about Latimer House, Churchill spent some of his weekends there, and John Winant the U.S. Ambassador had a farmhouse on the Latimer Estate. It was at Latimer House that my father met Winston Churchill, who asked my father what the 36 survivors of Scharnhorst been given to eat, whilst on their journey to Scapa Flow. My father replied "The same as us Sir". A order had been given that they be given rations for survivors, rather than POW's whilst on board HMS Duke of York. My father was a Royal Marine on the Duke of York during the battle of the North Cape, and responsible with 5 other Royal Marines of delivering the men to Latimer House from Scapa to Latimer on the Jellicoe Express. I do know all the interrogation methods used at Latimer. The Alcohol was used for the Officers at Latimer, not the survivors of Scharnhorst. I have personally translated some of the interrogation reports that C.S.D.I.D. Naval Intelligence had not translated from German into English. One of the translators at Latimer House was a German Jewish gentleman called Fritz Lustig. His son was a continuity announcer on BBC Radio 4. I supplied much information about the survivors of Scharnhorst to Naval Historian Derek Nudd, who's grandfather was Lt. Commander B.S.R. Cope, one of the main men at Latimer House. I am acknowledged in Derek's book "Castaways of the Kriegsmarine" quite a few times. I have read many of the interrogation reports from Scharnhorst, and followed some of the families stories. I have also know Dr. Helen Fry, who has also written much about Latimer House, Trent Park, and Wilton. I mentioned Latimer being near Amersham, as their museum has featured Latimer, and the story can be found on their website. I hope this clears up the Amersham / Chesham difference.

Lance Shippey