PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EK 231 20 December DXB IAD near crash?
View Single Post
Old 3rd Jan 2022, 09:56
SaulGoodman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by hans brinker
Got my ATPL in 1999, ATP, 5 types, 15K hours with passengers in the back since. Was always instructed that the moment you get airborne, you fly by instrument reference. Not sure her looking at her instruments is the big issue here. I do switch off the AP/AT/FD whenever I feel it's okay ( no company limits on that), and if I screw up, I will get a call from the safety department asking how training can get improved to prevent that from happening again. I am sure that the last sentence will get lost in the EU/ME culturere, but I really feel it's the way forward.
the moment you get airborne you should use instrument reference. She actually rotate using the FD. That is wrong!

4 airlines of which 3 in the EU and all 3 actually encourage(d) manual flying. If you want to fly all the way up to FL raw data you are welcome to do it. In that way you can simply not compare Europe with the ME.

On topic: until the initial report is published we should give this EK crew some slack. Until proven otherwise I refuse that they did not rotate simply because someone forgot to se the MCP correctly.