PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Francis Gary Powers U-2 -6 decades on
View Single Post
Old 3rd Jan 2022, 04:45
Lance Shippey

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NRU74
Firstly may I salute you, You have my complete respect, after the Bay of Pigs in April 1961, the West were justifiably concerned with the behaviour of the Soviet Union. Submarine movements became on great interest to the West, especially the U.K. On 8th. or 9th. Feb. 1974 Trawler F.V. Gaul sank in he Barents Sea north of Norway. All 36 persons on board were lost. The wreck was found in 1975 It was thought that espionage was involved, and possibly the involvement of a Soviet Submarine. A documentary made by Anglia T.V. and Norwegian journalist Alf R Jacobsen won an award for the film "Mysteries of the Gaul" There were two inquiries completed in Britain which do not substantiate espionage, but relatives of the crew were not satisfied and claimed that the "Truth was still to be told". In 1976 RSD Pioneer Soviet medium range ballistic missiles (Also known as the S.S.20 were being stationed in the Soviet Union. This resulted in NATO stationing Pershing 11 missiles
Europe. I remember a visit I made to Murmansk (Kola Peninsular) in 1983. January was not the best time to visit, as the snow was packed 6ft high on either side of the road. Three days was long enough. Thanks again for your contribution to ridding some of the World of it's evil.

Lance Shippey

I