PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - All borders to reopen.
View Single Post
Old 2nd Jan 2022, 23:40
MickG0105

Received 228 Likes on 109 Posts
Originally Posted by 43Inches
They don't publish the data anymore as highlighting it causes more instances and copycats. Back a number of years ago KHL was going through some issues of needing more funding but some sources were saying it had as much as 1 in 3 calls were hoaxes. Point that came out was while there are a lot of crank calls, 2/3rds or more of calls were serious and real, meaning they do provide an essential first point of call for real sufferers.

Again as I said earlier these lines provide an essential service, but going off call rates to them without actual confirmation data that all cases are real is difficult to relate. I can imagine the lockdowns also were conducive to a lot of bored kids and mental cases willing to flood these lines with mess for cheap kicks. With 000 the hoaxes are logged with severe penalties, yet they still occur at regular intervals, the data from Ambulance and Police attendance to a scene or event is well documented so reliable information to gather rates from.

You have to also remember that KHL 'Duty of care interventions' are just the information being passed onto Ambulance and Police for further investigation and possible attendance, then it will obviously be added to those services data.
Based on fairly extensive experience in that service sector I know that "hoax" calls are vanishly rare. "Unwelcome calls", a category that includes hoax calls together with abusive calls, make up less than 3 percent of calls taken. That is pretty consistent across all services.