PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Manchester-3
Thread: Manchester-3
View Single Post
Old 2nd Jan 2022, 09:52
HOVIS

Received 87 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by OzzyOzBorn
I see the apron regularly and the airport is NOT permanently full for days on end. Yes, there are plenty of parked-up aircraft, but that is not the same thing as 'full'. If the airport were actually "full" as you say, it would be necessary to hold each inbound flight until a departing aircraft vacates a stand for it, wouldn't it? That is clearly not required, as the airport is not "full". Some (vacant) stands may indeed be set aside for an incoming flight, but not all of them. And not all day - a 'splash-and-dash' could certainly be accommodated in the middle of the day. Most diverted flights don't require contact stands anyway. And that is why a dynamic diversion policy should apply. The alternative reflects the lamentable "do not disturb" mentality which Manchester Airport highlighted to great effect when challenging the Department of Transport all those years ago.

Not every diversion can be accepted. We all recognise that. But some certainly can. I strongly suspect that those aforementioned Jet2's could have been accommodated. And what about smaller aircraft such as Citations and Learjets? A catch-all blanket no-divs notam prevents them from enquiring about access by default also.

A dynamic diversion policy allows for aircraft which genuinely cannot be accommodated to be turned away. But those which can be accommodated can be accepted. That is a good thing, though the "not my problem" brigade clearly need some convincing. Almost all other major airports operate a dynamic diversions policy without issue. But perhaps this is another example of the "Manchester way" alone being right beyond question, and every other major airport being incompetent without realising it.

Yes, on a regular basis. That means not permanently. Which is why a dynamic policy should apply. Scope to use discretion is a good thing in a successful business.
May I ask how this 'dynamic policy' conjures up a bunch of loaders, security, catering, refuellers, cleaners, engineers etc at short notice? Do you think there are lots of standby staff sitting at home waiting for the phone to ring at any hour? Even if, and it's a big if, there are any stands available.

Oh and by the way, I have personally witnessed several wide bodies sitting on the taxiway recently waiting for a contact stand to be cleared either because a flight is late departing or a tow team is struggling to get the aircraft pushed back because the (caterers, cleaners, engineers etc) are busy on board so the aircraft can't be moved or even the classic waiting for an overstretched dispatcher to drop what they're doing on the other two flights they're sorting out to come and take the Air bridge off!
These are very real day to day issues that those of us onsight witness everyday, not what a keyboard wannabe airport manager who thinks they have all the answers because they use the airport twice a week. The view from the departure lounge/window seat is very narrow and cannot see the bigger picture.