PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Teesside-2
Thread: Teesside-2
View Single Post
Old 1st Jan 2022, 23:55
Harold77

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by onion
The FRA (Draken) and probably calibration is what is referred to as military I guess, and no they couldn't really go else where without a cost to FRA (Draken) setting up new maintenance facilities and possibly penalties being due from the airport if they had too.

Also the improvements to the infrastructure needed to be carried out and were planned for. Why not bring them forward, lessen disruption, lessen the overall cost to the taxpayer through not having to furlough those who worked on the projects and shorten the time frames due to less passengers being in the buildings. Also probably getting better deals as companies wanted the work.
I look at it as a win win all round.
I totally agree with you Onion. Yes I meant Draken contracts when I said military flights.

Covid has actually played into Teesside Airport's advantage. If they tried to do the refurbishment during normal operating conditions it would have took them 3 to 4 times as long to do it, as would only be able to do small sections at a time. Whereas with the terminal closed to the public they could come in rip everything out in one go and rebuild in a very short space of time. When it reopened for essential travel only it was only a handful of passengers each flight so they could work around the works whereas normal times whole area would have been closed. So they were able to do safe work arounds without hampering the works in progress. Also by doing it in superquick time will have meant cost savings on the project could be had through the time savings.

So Covid allowed projects to be brought forward. So when more flights started operating they could do so without disruption to passengers and also allow revenue streams to be had a couple of years ahead of the 10 year business plan.