PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Lear Jet Down
Thread: Lear Jet Down
View Single Post
Old 1st Jan 2022, 16:30
B2N2

Received 26 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by His dudeness
Well, its just one example, I know, but I fly with the same dude since 14 years. He still kicks my butt if I do something stupid.(which happens !)
Well this is a very good example as to why Human Factors are so interesting.
This accident is not limited to what happened that night.
Accidents can be years in the making.
Certain personalities that may be very different or very similar can work together very well or not at all.
Even working together very well they might amplify each other’s highs and lows or they may dampen them out.
Friendly banter or friendly competition can turn sour. Some people feel the need to make everything a competition or comparison of skill and the best way to deal with that is to “let them win”.
Case in my personal experience, I was teamed up with a pilot senior to me for a simulator event. We were required to demonstrate a landing with a 30kt crosswind component.
Upon completion of the “checking” part we had a little time left and the sim instructor asked if we wanted to do anything with that time so the other guy asked for a landing with 40kts.
He did one and and after mine was equally successful he asked for one at 50 kts.
After he wrestled that one to the ground I declined. Under different circumstances I would have tried even though I never would in real life but I wasn’t going to feed into his desire.
I let “him win”.