PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gliding stories
Thread: Gliding stories
View Single Post
Old 1st Jan 2022, 14:46
biscuit74

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Krystal n chips
I'm both intrigued and amused by your wife's memories. Did you ever find out what made this hooting sound by any chance ?

Plenty of hours in Ka8's, probably the best early solo single seater ever built. Wouldn't bite you, would soar in next to sod all lift, you could actually "hover" it if the wind was right and so very easy to fly as well rig / de-rig
Hah - she thinks it was probably just the air whistling through small gaps between canopy and fuselage, or at the wing root junctions, possibly where some slightly loose fabric edges vibrated. A very friendly noise. The last Ka8 I flew - at Eden - did likewise occasionally, most probably due to lazy sloppy flying and slipping by me.

I agree, a fun early solo machine, very relaxing and confidence inspiring to fly. Hard to penetrate upwind in, but pleasant for early cross-country 'drifts' down or cross wind for a Silver distance. The thought of doing a restoration is tempting - it is a shame (but unsurprising) that so many older wooden ships are disappearing now.