PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EK 231 20 December DXB IAD near crash?
View Single Post
Old 31st Dec 2021, 18:40
punkalouver

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by mmmbop
The comments here about looking outside the window vs being on instruments I suspect is from non jet flying pilots. I recall a quick survey being done on where people look for rotation and it was 50:50 inside vs outside. HOWEVER, those who do look outside for the initial rotation quickly look back inside to the PFD to see where their initial rotation has come to and adjust according to the degree graduations, as opposed to the FD. Almost all said this is as the gear is unsticking or has just become airborne. So really, most people are rotating on instruments because they quickly look inside to see here they are - particularly important on the 777 with regard to tail scrapes.
Sounds about right. I would say it starts about 100% outside and ending up 100% on the inside with a transition from one to the other as the pitch attitude increases(once partway through the rotation, the runway is out of view). It is still important to look outside somewhat even in very low vis to ensure one is remaining on the centerline. In such a situation I do rapid inside/outside/inside for as long as the centerline can be seen to ensure that one doesn't drift. This is more critical in a crosswind or especially after a V1 cut in the sim with its slower rotation(have seen pilots drift far off centerline with wheels still on ground).