PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EK 231 20 December DXB IAD near crash?
View Single Post
Old 31st Dec 2021, 15:17
olster

Received 22 Likes on 7 Posts
I was at a training meeting @EK some years ago. I was a lowly serf within the A380 training department but occasionally felt compelled to speak up. The topic was a presentation on how to fly the Carnarsie approach into JFK 13L/ R. The recommended way to do this by the experts involved swapping flight plans below 1,000feet. I kid you not. My contribution was to say that possibly looking out of the window would be more appropriate and to fly the aircraft at that crucial phase of flight. In my old fogey world (sorry, folks) I flew into JFK many times in the 747-200, not a very automated aircraft and when we saw whichever runway we were heading for, out came the autopilot and we pointed the Jet in the appropriate direction. I was of course ignored and lo and behold some years later an A380 was @300 feet several miles from the runway and only a vigilant controller intervened prior to catastrophe. I am certainly not the fount of all wisdom and would never proclaim that I know better than a lot of clever people however common sense leaves the building particularly @ EK where everyone is running scared of the bullying @rseholes that purport to run the place. I am really glad that the Swiss cheese did not come together here but when are they going to learn?