PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Aircraft originally built for Carriers
View Single Post
Old 31st Dec 2021, 08:31
SpazSinbad

Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts
A-3D Skywarrior. Some say: All 3 Dead : A-3 Skywarrior Association - A-3 Skywarrior Assn. - HOME (a3skywarrior.com) JATO smokin'.

This is what happened when an Air Force pilot got assigned to a Navy carrier (navytimes.com) & https://www.historynet.com/air-force...flies-navy.htm
"...“I don’t remember too many of my thousands of landings on concrete,” Williams said, “but I remember every one of my 141 carrier traps.”..." & "....“It looked like I was going to plant 23 tons of aluminum and the three of us in the ‘spud locker,’” he said. “The deck was rising fast as we hit, and I do mean hit, the deck short of the no. 4 wire, and probably with 9 or more Gs. The impact knocked all three of us unconscious. Two things saved us: first, the A-3B’s strength; second was my idle rpm allowed the airspeed to decrease so much that there wasn’t the energy to bounce the tailhook over the wires.”..." & "...“Such a landing normally would have been most severely graded by the LSO [landing signal officer],” he noted. “However, when LSO Stu Corey entered our ready room, all he did was give me a big hug!” When Williams left Midway, he said, “I was certified as a Centurion with a minimum of 100 arrested A-3B landings on one carrier — and I was a half-inch shorter.”"

Last edited by SpazSinbad; 31st Dec 2021 at 09:10. Reason: + jpg +txt