PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EK 231 20 December DXB IAD near crash?
View Single Post
Old 30th Dec 2021, 14:51
aa73

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Alrosa
I do agree with several contributors here that where possible/conditions permit, raw data flying either from take off to FL200 (for example) or from FL100 to landing should be practised, at least once a month. It may or may not have anything to do with this alleged incident, but it is a very useful exercise, and if done reasonably well, can act as a confidence-booster as well as improving one’s handling and scanning skills (and it keeps the PM awake …)

I appreciate some companies frown or don’t allow this - I think that’s a real shame, and I think it’s wrong. If you can’t fly at all without automation I would suggest something is wrong.

Besides, those of us that fly (much) older Boeings will have probably experienced the FDs (pitch and/or roll) mysteriously disappear at some point during take-off!
Spot on. You ain’t kidding about the FDs suddenly disappearing, has happened to me on occasion and I credit all the hand flying I’ve done over the years in helping to get through it.
Hand flying an approach on total raw data including turns, descents, level offs will build your confidence and aircraft handling in a spectacular way, and prepare you for those days when the gee whiz stuff craps out..
I’m also just blown away by the over reliance on automation, and furthermore , the discipline involved if you chose to hand fly the aircraft! Airlines being run by dictators it seems..