PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Wrong job ?
Thread: Wrong job ?
View Single Post
Old 30th Dec 2021, 05:41
realECMLdriver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Eric T Cartman
TimGriff6
That's not correct - with the right qualifications you can apply directly to be a Driver - requirements can be found online.
I worked as a Guard for LT in 1966, having been trained to drive in an emergency. In those days, promotion to Motorman (i.e. driver) (& most other grades) depended on a seniority date. I imagine it's much the same as systems pilots still have in airlines. The obvious fault is that this system can result in unsuitable candidates. At least today's method will, hopefully, only take on the right people.
I wish I could say this is true. There seems to be a push towards hiring ex police officers as drivers which, up to a few years ago, seemed fine. What we've got lately are the adrenaline junkies that go on to have operational incidents within days of passing out and their attitude to the job is quite depressing. Don't get me started on the sense of entitlement. Just my 2p worth.

The company tried to open up and diversify as they wanted to eliminate the "jobs for the boys" mentality but things seemed to have gone full circle without them realising. The recent hire ex police I've come across have openly joked that information is passed down one mate at a time about every stage of the process and exactly what HR want to hear. We'll be advertising for trainee drivers again soon and a number of us are watching with interest.

The good thing about the pilot assessment I went for in years gone by seemed to suggest that it was set up in a way that you either had the skills or didn't. I think South Eastern trains proactively sought out pilots in one of their recruitment drives not too long ago and it seems to have worked well. Would love to see more pilots come through but it's understandable that you haven't invested and sacrificed all that you have to just walk away and drive trains.