PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Aircraft originally built for Carriers
View Single Post
Old 29th Dec 2021, 19:36
gums

Received 55 Likes on 16 Posts
Salute!

Great memories, ex.fast.

I wrote the ops plan for the Bomb Comp when USAF sent a detachment of 388th FW Vipers to Lossie - 81?
Had to stay home, but the folks we sent were top of the shelf, from the cooks to the Ops officer and all in between. Funny, but the commander, and competition flight lead, and two others were from the A-7 community, and fourth troopin flight was an ex-aggressor. The home team folks at Lossie did not realize that the new kid on the block could fight on the way in and out, plus hit the designated tgt on time. So we shot down approx 80 aggressors and only lost one during the comp missions. We were not invited back!

Would also have loved the Jag, and my recall is our A-7 and F-16 HUD were variations. My roomie from 'nam said that the shuttle folks had not simply adopted the Marconi HUD and tried to re-invent the wheel. He flew Discovery a few times and then a stint on the Russian MIR. See Blaha.

With the Harrier tours, you may have run across one of my A-7 stalwarts - Waldo. Serve an exchange tour there in the motherland and was a cannon fan - like real gunpowder suckers for special events! Brit rules were a problem, but the armory sergeant on the base figured out loopholes in the rules.

Gums sends, and have a great new year!