PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Lear Jet Down
Thread: Lear Jet Down
View Single Post
Old 29th Dec 2021, 14:46
B2N2

Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Avman
Interesting point too, however, I would have thought that if it was indeed so, they would have made their planned intention known to ATC much sooner. I tend to think that it was a last minute decision which left little time to execute a tricky low altitude manoeuvre (in reduced visibility) effectively.
I don’t know the wet performance runway numbers for a 1985 Lear 35A, however it’s clear that the shorter runway wasn’t sufficiently long. This wasn’t a last minute decision, you don’t do that. If you listen to the ATC they avoid the use of the term “circling” and somewhat catch the ATC controller off guard.
Circling approach is not authorized.
Its a mystery why they didn’t take runway 9 with at the most a couple of kts tailwind component as the wind was light and variable.
Rumor has it that their hangar is at the end of runway 27.
To answer a previous question, some charter companies will have both their pilots equally trained and both have a full “PIC” type rating just the left seat pilot is generally the more experienced. It is legal however to have only one fully type rated “PIC” pilot and a “SIC” type rated pilot which for simplicity’s sake is about half a type rating. There is quite a difference in training cost. Some companies hire a new pilot, pay for SIC training then after a year (or two) during recurrent training let the pilot ‘upgrade’ to a PIC type rating.
Do we like this pilot, do they get along with everyone, are they staying a couple of years or ready to bail after a couple hundred hours jet?
All those considerations.
Especially a Lear is not known to be a ‘starter jet’ but many evac companies use them for the larger door. Or I think that’s the reason. Old Lears are cheap too.
Their pay is generally on the low side for industry starters.

Last edited by B2N2; 29th Dec 2021 at 15:42.