PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - "Qantas pilots lose union president after year of turbulence"
Old 29th Dec 2021, 06:44
dr dre

Received 365 Likes on 200 Posts
Originally Posted by C441
From a few conversations I've had, I'd suggest there's probably quite a few who believe exactly the opposite. There's quite a few out there that believe AIPA have been too compliant and not combative enough, especially when it came to prolonged and indefinite stand-down.
As much as some may disagree the stand downs were never going to be legally ended, especially after the ALAEA lost their case in October 2020. Too little industrial help was given to actively employed pilots undergoing the hardships of forced quarantine. Any minor improvements to alleviate stresses of forced quarantine that were gained were almost always because of the lobbying of individual groups of pilots working in conjunction with management, seemingly without union assistance. Isn’t that why we pay our dues?

It’s a different world now, anyone trying to keep the unrealistic conditions from the past is just going to send flying elsewhere in the current environment. As seen with the EBAs which secured the 787 and A350 the pilot group as a whole are willing to agree to still good deals in order to secure flying, and I don’t think, beyond a very small vocal minority, there’s any appetite to “shove it up the company’s backside” ala Eastern Airlines circa 1989.

Need realistic union representation for the real world, and realistic ambitions to ensure new types are flown by mainline pilots.

Last edited by dr dre; 29th Dec 2021 at 09:27.