PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Wrong job ?
Thread: Wrong job ?
View Single Post
Old 28th Dec 2021, 15:46
mrguy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've seen the subject of train driver remuneration come up a few times on here. There’s always someone saying "that much for pushing a lever?!" or that train drivers only control something in one dimension, as opposed to 3 dimensions such as a pilot so therefore they should be paid more.

To me this is like saying lawyers are paid too much because all they do is type at a computer and occasionally speak in a room full of people. Hey, I can do that too, so why aren’t I paid the same as a lawyer?! Fulfilling the requirements of job is so much more that the physical act of making the plane take off, making the train move or saying the right words in a courtroom.

Train drivers (tube operators also) are paid well because they have a strong union, their role is safety critical, they have a very specific set of skills that you can’t gain without being employed by a company and there aren’t droves of unemployed train drivers’ willing to work for pennies and put up with ridiculous employment practices all because it allows them to follow their "dreams".

Every employee, whether in the public or private sector should receive fair and appropriate renumeration and benefits, but there are many disparities in the system. If you want a more just economy, don’t criticize those with good unions who can fight for their rights, but the system that allows it to happen.

It’s the crab mentality of a lot of people in the aviation industry that has led to the degradation of T&Cs. If you’re a pilot and you don’t like the fact that tube drivers earn £55k then organise and make sure that pilots, much like tube drivers, are paid a proportionality for their skills and there isn’t a glut of people willing to work for less than they’re worth.