PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Sky high adventure and danger in the RAF special unit
Old 28th Dec 2021, 10:59
teeteringhead

Gentleman Aviator

Received 57 Likes on 27 Posts
I recall in the 80s at the Secret Shropshire Helicopter Base, I was involved in the organisation of the Wings ceremony. A one- or two-star was usually par for the course; Reviewing Officer gets his bonus hours GH in the morning, late morning presentation, then posh Mess lunch with MumznDadz.

My involvement was finding and booking the Reviewing Officer; it was a popular gig for them, there was precious little admin to be done before taking Sir flying and examining the Shropshire countryside - quite closely - in the GT model Gazelle.

Was in the process of booking one Sir to do it, when bag-carrier I was talking to said:

Bag-Carrier: "And of course, being at lunchtime, there will no alcohol served".

Teeters: "And of course, being the most important date in the young men's (only men then) flying career, there WILL be alcohol served. Thank you, if that is the case, I will find another Reviewing Officer". That was the case and I duly went looking for a new Sir.

Which I did find, shortly followed by a one-on-one with the Staish, who - to his credit, had extreme difficulty keeping a straight face while "counselling me on my error of judgement".........