PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Willy Brandt flight to Berlin 1989
View Single Post
Old 26th Dec 2021, 10:30
Lance Shippey

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The meeting at the Aspen Institute on the afternoon of Nov.9th. 1989 was at the Wahnsee in West Berlin. The building at Wahnsee had been one of the homes of Josef Goebbels during WW2, demolished after the war, and as a rebuild became the home for the Aspen Institute. Late afternoon Prof Dr.. Vogel was given a lift back to West Berlin, where he had parked his car by vice Ambassador James Bindenagel. Mr Bindenagel informs me that he didn't know why Prof Vogel had parked his car near the Ku-damm in West Berlin.

In an interview Mr Bindenagel gave to the Library of Congress, he reported a meeting between himself and the U.S. Ambassador to East Germany with Wolfgang Vogel at Vogel's modest home at the Titisee. The location of the house at Titisee appeared very unlikely to me. Mrs Vogel advised me that they did not own a home on the Titisee, and this is probably refers to a meeting her husband had at their home on the Schwerinsee outside East Berlin a couple of months before the fall of the Berlin Wall. Mr Bindenagel, after consulting his old notes confirms the information given by Mrs Vogel.

Lance Shippey