PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - FR 737 taxis with towbar stuck under engine
Old 25th Dec 2021, 04:34
hans brinker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Magplug
That's half the problem..... You only fly to a limited number of destinations. Every company is obliged to audit their own ground handlers at each station or the handling agents retained at that destination. Different aircraft have different SOPs and different requirements for verbal communications with the ground. It needs to be kept as standard as possible and as simple as possible but unfortunately a lot of places just like doing their own thing regardless of the consequences (ever been to JFK?).

Ready to push should mean 'ready in all respects now' not simply 'We are all here'.
'Clear to pressurise' - Do modern day Boeings still need this or is it a holdover from the past?
Brakes ON / Brakes OFF - In widespread use but safe? Better.... 'Brakes released / Brakes set to park'

And that's even before we get to safe communications for De-Icing or Ground air starts !
About 70 destinations in 18 countries in my current airline, and yes been to JFK, LGA, EWR, LHR, AMS, MAD, BCN and about 400 more.... The reply I gave was all about having SOP use the appropriate trigger, and I feel using the after start as a trigger to look for the tow bar isn't the best thing. I think releasing the parking brake should be the trigger to make sure both of you have confirmed that you are clear to taxi (nothing attached to the aircraft, taxi instructions received, both know where we are going). Nothing to do with ground communications.