PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gliding stories
Thread: Gliding stories
View Single Post
Old 24th Dec 2021, 20:01
blind pew

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
The Brits do a very good demonstration of spinning off a failed winch launch which is very similar to what kills pilots getting low in the circuit and « trying to stretch the glide ». It basically starts with the correct attitude but not the right speed; whilst looking at the threshold blogs starts a turn but with insufficient bank because he is aware of lack of energy and uses too much rudder to increase the turn rate; the nose starts dropping and bank increases which leads to blogs applying out of turn aileron and stopping the nose dropping with elevator…voila..rolls on its bank and its all over.
Demonstrating a full spin as low as safe is about giving blogs confidence and demonstrating the different visual horizon compared with a higher altitude.
When I went back into gliding after a break of 25 years the CFI demonstrated a full spin at 1,000ft which I thought was reckless…later I joined the realms of the converted.
My K6 spins were the first ones I had done in at least 5 years and maybe 10 since I stopped instructing. Far too many pilots are unnecessarily frightened of them.